Who doesn’t love perfectly crispy roasted potatoes? This recipe delivers exactly that – a crunchy exterior and a tender, fluffy interior. You’ll be tempted to devour them right off the sheet pan before realizing you need to share with your loved ones (but no judgement if you don’t!).
The Secret to Crispy Perfection
We all face the dilemma of wanting healthier potatoes without sacrificing flavor. Baking them seems like the obvious choice, but it can result in soggy and lackluster spuds. That’s where these crispy roasted potatoes come in. The game-changer? Parboiling!
When you parboil the potatoes, they cook on the inside. This means that baking time is solely dedicated to achieving that perfect crispiness. The high oven temperature ensures that the inside is cooked through without sacrificing the outside. And here’s a pro tip: raw potatoes tend to burn on the outside if subjected to high heat. That’s why parboiling is crucial for that ideal balance!
Ingredients You’ll Need
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. Gather your basic ingredients, and let the technique work its magic. Feel free to adjust the seasoning to your preference. Even kids will adore this combination!
You can use baby potatoes (or new potatoes) like I did here, or opt for larger varieties like Yukon Gold or white potatoes. For baby potatoes, simply slice them in half. However, if you choose larger potatoes, cube them into even-sized chunks. Don’t worry about peeling them; it’s your call!
How to Make Crispy Roasted Potatoes
Now that we have the ingredients ready, let’s dive into the cooking process:
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Wash and halve the potatoes. If using larger potatoes, cube them into even-sized chunks. Remember, even sizes ensure even cooking. You can keep the peel on or remove it.
- Parboil the potatoes by boiling them for 10-15 minutes. The timing may vary depending on the size of your potato pieces. They should be fork-tender but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the potatoes with oil and seasoning until well coated.
- Lay the potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, flipping them halfway through.
Expert Tips & FAQ’s
To help you master this recipe, here are some useful tips and answers to common questions:
- Use parchment paper to prevent sticking and preserve that glorious crispiness.
- For even crispness all around, ensure that your potato pieces are evenly sized.
And now, let’s address a few frequently asked questions:
- Should I boil potatoes before roasting? Absolutely! Parboiling is the key step to achieve restaurant-style crispy potatoes.
- Why won’t my roast potatoes go crispy? Or why are my roast potatoes soggy? The key is to use a high oven temperature (450°F) and parboiling to ensure the potatoes cook through while developing a crispy exterior.
- What oil is best to use for roasting potatoes? I recommend olive oil for this recipe. It performs well at 450°F. However, regular vegetable oils like corn, canola, or sunflower oil work great too!
What to Serve with These Potatoes
These crispy roasted potatoes complement any main dish perfectly. Here are some recipe ideas to pair them with:
- Juicy Steaks
- Grilled Chicken
- Roasted Vegetables
- Baked Fish
If you’ve tried this recipe, don’t forget to leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below and share your thoughts in the comments section. I’d love to hear from you! Also, feel free to hop over to Instagram and say hello!
Remember, for more delicious recipes and culinary inspiration, visit BDK Restaurant. Happy cooking!