Are you looking for a delicious way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet? Look no further than this amazing veggie cakes recipe from BDK Restaurant. These crispy and easy-to-make veggie cakes are packed with grated carrots, zucchini, broccoli, and corn, offering a delightful touch of sweetness. They are not only a tasty addition to your meals but also a great way to sneak in some veggies, even for the pickiest eaters!
Why You Should Try This Recipe
- Make Ahead: You can prepare the ingredients ahead of time or even store the cooked veggie cakes in the fridge for a day or two before serving.
- Versatile: Don’t like a particular vegetable? No problem! You can easily swap out ingredients and customize these veggie cakes to suit your taste.
- Big Batch: This recipe yields 30 vegetable fritters, making it perfect for larger families or for those who want to freeze some for later.
The Veggie Cakes Recipe
These fluffy and easy vegetable fritters are typically cooked on the stovetop, but you can also bake them in the oven for a healthier option. If you have an air fryer, you can follow the directions from BDK Restaurant’s butternut squash fritters recipe for this cooking method.
Breakfast is often a challenging meal when it comes to incorporating vegetables. However, these veggie patties make a convenient “grab and go” breakfast option. Alternatively, you can simply cook an egg and place it on top of your vegetable patty for a delicious start to your day.
Learn how to make this incredible veggie cake recipe yourself instead of buying them. The best part is that you can easily customize these vegetable patties to suit your taste or use up any vegetables you already have in your kitchen. Once you get the hang of it, the possibilities are truly endless.
“These are spectacular! I followed the recipe exactly as written, and made a large batch intending to freeze some – there were none left to freeze! The whole family loves them.” – Jennifer
- Salt, pepper, and granulated garlic
- Panko breadcrumbs
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Parmesan cheese
- Cajun seasoning (optional)
- Neutral oil for pan
How to Make Veggie Cakes
Grating the vegetables in a food processor makes this recipe much quicker, especially since it yields a large batch. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide to making these delicious vegetable patties:
- Grate the zucchini first and allow it to drain in a colander to remove excess moisture.
- Grate the remaining vegetables in a food processor and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together and scoop out equal portions of the mixture.
- Cook the veggie cakes and place them on a parchment-lined sheet pan to cool or chill for freezing.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a food processor. You can easily use a box grater instead, which also provides a great upper arm workout!
“I was looking for a way to get some healthy veggies into my grandkid’s tummies. They loved these! My husband and I did too! Yum!” – Lisa
These veggie cakes are incredibly versatile and can be served in various ways. You can make them smaller and top them with a tiny dollop of sour cream for an appetizer at your next party. They also work well in a veggie sandwich or even as a substitute for falafel in a pita. The possibilities are endless!
Consider pairing these veggie cakes with dishes like Potato Corn Chowder with Bacon, Curried Cauliflower with Golden Raisins, Easy Lentil Soup Recipe, or Seared Halibut with Lemon Gastrique for a complete and satisfying meal.
Easy Make Ahead Meal
This veggie cakes recipe is perfect for a make-ahead meal. You can grate the vegetables in advance and refrigerate them until you’re ready to cook. The leftovers can be kept in the fridge for lunches throughout the week or frozen for later use. With just one preparation, you can have dinner ready to go on those busy days!
Feel free to swap out any vegetables you don’t like with similar options, as suggested in BDK Restaurant’s Italian vegetable cake recipe. Just make sure to remove excess moisture from watery veggies like spinach, so your veggie cakes remain crispy instead of becoming soggy.
Variations and Substitutions
These vegetable fritters offer endless possibilities for customization. Swap broccoli with cauliflower, carrots with parsnips, or onions with scallions or shallots. You can even use gluten-free flour instead of regular all-purpose flour, though you may need to adjust the amount slightly for the desired texture.
If you’re feeling adventurous, add a teaspoon or two of your favorite dried herbs or spices to give your veggie cakes a unique flavor twist.
Helpful Tools and Equipment
To make your cooking process easier, consider using the following tools:
- Food processor: Grating the vegetables becomes a breeze with this handy appliance. It’s particularly useful for individuals with hand or joint issues, such as arthritis.
- Scoop: A multi-purpose scoop is perfect for portioning vegetable cakes, muffins, cookies, and more.
- Sheet pans: Invest in commercial-grade sheet pans that won’t warp in a hot oven. These sturdy and reliable pans are essential in any kitchen.
- Cast iron skillet: This durable pan is ideal for cooking fritters or vegetable cakes, offering consistent heat distribution.
“These veggie cakes are so easy to make and are so very delicious!! And they looked so pretty on the plate too! Definitely make this recipe!” – Eileen
More Veggie Cakes Recipes
If you’re hungry for more veggie cake ideas or need some inspiration, BDK Restaurant has got you covered. Check out their vegan vegetable cakes with chia, zucchini fritters, curried cauliflower fritters, green vegetable cakes, potato broccoli cakes, and Indian-spiced vegetable patties.
And if you still want more, BDK Restaurant even has a veggie cake e-book for you!
If you love this veggie cakes recipe, why not share it with others? Your support helps BDK Restaurant grow, and they truly appreciate it. Whether you share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board, your shares make a difference. Don’t forget to rate and comment on the recipe too! BDK Restaurant loves hearing from their readers.
Tag BDK Restaurant on Instagram @BDKRestaurant or share your creation in the Fabulous Foodie Friends Facebook group. They can’t wait to see your version!
Thank you for stopping by! Have a delicious day ?