Are you tired of the same old chicken curry recipe? If so, we’ve got a delicious twist that will add a pop of flavor and good nutrition to your dinner menu. Our Chicken and Chickpea Curry is an easy-to-make one-skillet meal that is both budget-friendly and convenient. It’s a dish that you’ll be proud to serve and look forward to having leftovers. Plus, it can easily be made plant-based by substituting the chicken with an additional can of chickpeas.
One-Skillet Curry made with chickpeas
If you’re a fan of deep and flavorful curry recipes, then you’re going to love this veggie-loaded curry. It’s packed with nutritious ingredients like canned chickpeas and frozen cauliflower. These ingredients not only provide great nutrition but also cook quickly, making this a true 30-minute meal. It’s the perfect way to add some color and deliciousness to your weeknight dinners.
Ingredients for Chicken and Chickpea Curry
To make this mouthwatering chickpea curry tonight, here’s what you’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic cloves
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Canned full-fat coconut milk (you may use light coconut milk to reduce the total fat)
- Chickpeas (canned for convenience)
- Frozen cauliflower florets
- Spices (curry powder, ground turmeric, dried ginger, fine salt, and black pepper)
- Fresh baby spinach (you may use frozen bagged spinach)
- Optional for serving – chopped fresh cilantro, steamed rice, and lime wedges
For detailed directions and ingredient amounts, scroll down to the recipe card below. We’ve also included nutrition information per serving for your convenience.
How to make chickpea curry
This weeknight recipe comes together in just 4 simple steps:
- Cook the chicken: In a large skillet, cook the diced chicken breast until fully cooked. Transfer to a clean plate and set aside.
- Sauté the veggies: In the same skillet, sauté the onions, peppers, and garlic.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Stir in the cooked chicken, canned tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, cauliflower, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Simmer and stir in the spinach: Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then add the spinach and let it wilt for 2-3 minutes. Remove the skillet from the stovetop and serve over steamed rice. Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Recipe Swaps & Substitutes
Make it Grain-Free
If you prefer a grain-free dish, you can serve this curry over cauliflower rice instead of regular rice.
Make it Vegan
This recipe is already dairy-free, making it easy to turn it into a vegan dish. Simply swap out the chicken and add an additional can of chickpeas.
Healthy ingredients in this Coconut chickpea curry
This chickpea curry is not only delicious but also packed with nutrient superstars, including:
- Chickpeas: A great source of fiber, plant-based protein, and essential minerals.
- Coconut milk: A good source of plant-based fats, including medium-chain fatty acids that digest more quickly than other types of fats.
- Canned tomatoes: One of the best sources of the antioxidant lycopene.
- Spices: A good source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, including curcumin, quercetin, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
- Chicken: A complete protein source that’s rich in B vitamins and some minerals.
How to serve this chickpea curry recipe
For a fantastic dining experience, we recommend serving this coconut chickpea curry in a warm bowl, spooned over perfectly cooked jasmine rice, and garnished with fresh lime wedges for a tangy kick. Don’t forget to sprinkle some fresh cilantro to enhance the flavors. You can also serve it with naan bread, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or enjoy it as is.
The stunning photos in this article were taken by Rachel Cook of Half Acre House. Please note that all photos and content are copyright protected. Kindly seek prior written permission to use any of our photos. If you wish to share this recipe, we kindly ask that you rewrite it in your own words. Remember to link back to the source recipe here on BDK Restaurant. Thank you!
Now, it’s time to savor this flavor-packed Chicken and Chickpea Curry. Enjoy!