Have you ever tasted the delightful flavor of homemade fig jam? In this article, we will share with you my grandma’s recipe for fig jam, which is incredibly easy to make and requires only three ingredients, with fresh figs being the star of the show.
The Perfect Breakfast Jam
When it comes to breakfast jams, strawberry and raspberry are often the go-to choices. However, fig jam is an underrated gem that deserves a spot on your morning toast. Not only is it incredibly delicious, but it also offers a unique flavor profile that will delight both adults and children.
How to Make Homemade Fig Jam
Making homemade fig jam is a breeze. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ingredients for Grandma’s Fig Jam
- 1 kilo of fresh figs
- 500 grams of sugar (preferably cane sugar or jam sugar)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Start by cleaning and peeling the figs. You can either cut and deseed them or use them whole, depending on your preference.
- Place the figs in a container along with the sugar and lemon juice.
- Let the ingredients marinate for two hours.
- After marinating, transfer the mixture to a medium-sized pot with a thick bottom.
- Cook the mixture over medium heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the jam seems too thick, you can add a little water to improve the consistency.
- After 45 minutes, your fig jam will be ready. Remove the pot from the heat and let the jam cool to room temperature.
- If you prefer a smoother texture, you can blend the mixture in a food processor or blender. I personally enjoy the jam with small fruit chunks.
To store the jam, use glass jars with lids. Sterilizing the jars by using a water bath will help extend the shelf life of your jam. It’s also important to store the jars in a dry place.
More Variations of Homemade Fig Jam
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can experiment with different flavors and ingredients to create unique variations of fig jam. Here are a few ideas:
Fig and Vanilla Jam
Add a high-quality vanilla bean (split open) to the fig mixture before starting the cooking process. The subtle vanilla flavor will enhance the taste of the figs and take your jam to the next level.
Fig and Blackcurrant Jam
For an extra fruity twist, add 150 grams of blackcurrants to every ¼ kilo of fresh figs. Mix the blackcurrants with the figs, lemon juice, sugar, and any other desired ingredients. Proceed with the rest of the basic recipe.
Fig and Cinnamon Jam
Let the figs, sugar, lemon juice, and other ingredients marinate overnight with two cinnamon sticks. Leave the cinnamon sticks in the mixture throughout the cooking process, and remove them just before pouring the jam into the glass jars.
Fig and Spices Jam
If you love spices, you can add a tablespoon of gingerbread spice mix when making your fig jam. Alternatively, for a more natural and longer-lasting version, let the figs marinate with a split vanilla bean, two cinnamon sticks, one star anise, and a two-centimeter piece of fresh grated ginger overnight. Remove the cinnamon sticks, vanilla bean, and star anise when the jam is cooked and ready to be poured into the jars.
Delicious Ways to Enjoy Fig Jam
Now that you have a jar of homemade fig jam, here are some delightful ways to enjoy it:
- Spread it on sweet crepes or pancakes for a heavenly breakfast treat.
- Slather it on a slice of rustic bread or gingerbread.
- Use it as a topping for an easy fig tart.
- Create simple and delicious tartines by spreading some creamy cheese and a dollop of fig jam, then topping them with caramelized walnut halves.
- Surprise your taste buds by topping a cake with a layer of fig jam.
- Pair it with foie gras for an exquisite appetizer. It’s a perfect addition to your holiday menu or Christmas feast, especially if you make your own foie gras.
- Make quick finger foods by spreading fig jam on crispy toasted bread slices or savory crackers, accompanied by feta cheese or fresh goat cheese.
- Use it as a filling for a rolled cake. I promise to share the details of this excellent recipe soon.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. Feel free to get creative and use fig jam in your cake recipes or other desserts.
We hope you enjoyed this easy fig jam recipe. Don’t hesitate to share it with your friends on social media and spread the joy of homemade jams. And remember, for more delicious recipes like this, visit us at BDK Restaurant.
Bon appétit and enjoy your homemade fig jam!