Swedish Cardamom Cake (Kardemummakaka) is a mouthwatering treat that will delight all cardamom fans. With its soft and buttery texture and a distinctive cardamom aroma, this cake is perfect for your next coffee break. Let’s dive into the delicious world of Swedish cardamom cake!
- Flour – all-purpose flour works perfectly for this easy cardamom cake recipe.
- Eggs – medium-sized and at room temperature.
- Butter – unsalted, melted, and cooled.
- Sugar – regular white sugar is ideal for this Swedish delight.
- Baking powder – choose your favorite brand.
- Breadcrumbs – for preparing the cake pan.
- Milk – full cream milk, if possible.
- Ground cardamom – freshly ground cardamom seeds add the perfect flavor to this cake.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter and sprinkle breadcrumbs on it. Set it aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift the flour and baking powder. Add the ground cardamom and whisk to mix the dry ingredients.
- In a separate larger mixing bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Mix until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add the milk and melted butter to the egg mixture and continue mixing until well combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixture and stir gently until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and use an angled spatula to even the top.
- Place the pan in the lower part of the oven and bake for forty to forty-five minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Allow the cake to cool, then remove it from the pan.
- Slice and serve your cardamom cake. For an extra touch, sprinkle it with powdered sugar and ground cardamom.
- Make sure to use eggs at room temperature. If stored in the refrigerator, take them out before you start preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- You can grind the cardamom seeds using a spice grinder, small food processor, or mortar and pestle.
- For a variation, you can use packaged ground cardamom. However, freshly ground cardamom seeds provide a more fragrant and tasty result.
- If you don’t have breadcrumbs, dusting the cake pan with all-purpose flour is also acceptable.
Can I use a different cake pan for the Swedish cardamom cake? Absolutely! An 8-inch round or square cake pan will work well too.
How long can I keep the Swedish cake at room temperature? The cake can be kept at room temperature for up to forty-eight hours, but avoid placing it in direct sunlight. For longer storage, refrigerate the cardamom cake.
Are you ready to indulge in the flavors of kardemummakaka? Give this Swedish cardamom cake a try and let me know how it turns out! And if you’re craving more Nordic delights, don’t miss the tempting Midsommartårta, also known as Swedish Midsummer Cake.
For more authentic Swedish recipes, visit BDK Restaurant.