Are you looking for a simple yet flavorful soup that will transport you to the heart of Tuscany? Look no further than this creamy garbanzo bean soup recipe. Packed with the wonderful flavors of rosemary, diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, and parmesan, this soup is not only delicious but also gluten-free and vegan!
Why You’ll Love This Garbanzo Bean Soup
- Perfect First Soup Recipe: Whether you’re new to cooking or just a bit apprehensive about making homemade soup, this recipe is perfect for you. With minimal chopping and a few kitchen tools, you can easily make a hearty plant-based soup that will boost your confidence in the kitchen.
- Hearty and Comforting: Garbanzo beans add protein and fiber to this soup, making it a filling and comforting dish. The combination of beans and vegetables blended with vegetable broth creates a smooth and satisfying texture.
- Stovetop and Pressure Cooker Options: You can prepare this soup on the stovetop or in your pressure cooker, depending on your preference and available equipment.
- Creamy Without Cream: Don’t worry about adding cream or dairy to this soup. After cooking, simply blend it to achieve a velvety smooth texture without any need for additional ingredients.
- Kid-Friendly: This soup is loved by kids for its mild flavors and smooth consistency. Plus, they’ll enjoy the melty parmesan cheese on top.
- Garbanzo Beans: Three cans of garbanzo beans (45 ounces) should be drained and rinsed before adding them to the soup.
- Water or Vegetable Broth: You’ll need 4 cups of water or vegetable broth (or a combination of both) for the base of the soup.
- Onion & Garlic: Saute white or yellow onion and minced garlic in a little olive oil for added flavor.
- Tomatoes: Canned, diced tomatoes provide a burst of color and flavor without the need for chopping.
- Fresh Rosemary: Finely chop fresh rosemary to bring a hearty and comforting flavor to the soup.
- Salt and Pepper: Use kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to season the soup to taste.
- Vinegar: A splash of balsamic vinegar adds a little extra zip to the soup.
- Parmesan Cheese (optional): Top the soup with grated parmesan cheese or vegan parmesan for added richness.
How To Make Creamy Garbanzo Bean Soup
- Saute diced onion and garlic in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add water or vegetable broth, rosemary, salt, black pepper, chickpeas, and tomatoes to the pot and stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high or medium-high heat, then reduce to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy. Alternatively, you can use a food processor or blender to blend the soup in batches until smooth.
- Stir in the vinegar and bring the soup to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Serve the soup in bowls, garnishing each serving with parmesan cheese and fresh herbs like parsley or rosemary.
Instant Pot Directions
You can also make this creamy garbanzo bean soup in your pressure cooker. Simply follow these steps:
- Cook the vegetables on the medium heat sauté setting for 10 minutes. Then, add water, seasonings, chickpeas, and tomatoes.
- Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- Natural-release the pressure and turn the heat to low.
- Blend the soup and stir in the red wine vinegar. It’s that easy!
- Use a Dutch oven, large saucepan, or stockpot to make this soup, as it yields a large quantity. This allows for easy combining and stirring of ingredients without splashing.
- Saute the onions and garlic until they become translucent. This enhances their flavor and ensures they meld easily with the other ingredients.
- If using a countertop blender or food processor to blend the soup, do so in batches to avoid overflow. Start blending at a slow speed and consider using an oven mitt to hold the blender if necessary.
- Before using garbanzo beans in the soup, drain and rinse them to remove the canning liquid. This will ensure a thick and flavorful soup.
- Want to add some greens? Consider adding fresh baby spinach before blending for extra nutrients.
Serve this creamy garbanzo bean soup in a deep bowl, perfect for dipping crusty bread or stirring in extra cheese. It’s filling and hearty on its own but pairs well with roasted broccoli and potatoes or a grain like buckwheat or quinoa. For a complete meal, try it with some crispy air fryer garlic bread!
This recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free. To make it vegan, simply omit the parmesan cheese or use a vegan alternative.
This soup stores well and tastes even better the next day. Here’s how to store it:
- To Store in the Fridge: Allow the soup to cool to room temperature and transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze: Store the soup in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight or reheat it on the stovetop when ready to enjoy.
- To Reheat: Simply heat the soup on the stovetop until warmed through. Add additional water or broth to thin the soup if needed.
So, why not treat yourself to a taste of Tuscany with this creamy garbanzo bean soup? It’s easy to make, delicious, and sure to become a family favorite. For more vegan soup recipes and inspiration, visit BDK Restaurant.