If you’re looking for the perfect Sunday roast recipe, look no further. This tender and flavorful bottom round roast is sure to impress your family and leave them asking for seconds. Not only is it great for Sunday dinners, but the leftovers also make delicious roast beef sandwiches. Let’s dive into the details of this mouthwatering dish!
The Tender Bottom Round Roast
If you haven’t tried a bottom round roast before, you’re missing out on a truly melt-in-your-mouth experience. This lean and budget-friendly cut of beef is perfect for slow roasting, resulting in a tender and flavorful dish that’s ideal for family gatherings or special occasions. To enhance the flavor, we season the beef with a savory dry rub made from a blend of dried herbs, garlic cloves, salt, and pepper.
Ingredients That Make the Difference
Let’s talk about the key ingredients that make this bottom round roast recipe so delicious.
- Bottom Round Roast: This lean and flavorful cut of beef is perfect for slow cooking. When cooked properly, it becomes tender and juicy. Despite its lack of marbling, with the right cooking methods, you can achieve tender results by slicing it thinly.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic adds an intense and aromatic flavor that infuses the meat during cooking. It creates a well-rounded seasoning that enhances the natural flavors of the beef.
- Oregano, Thyme, and Rosemary: These herbs have complementary flavor profiles and can withstand high heat. They add robust and earthy, subtle lemony, and piney aromas, respectively, which pair exceptionally well with beef.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt brings out the natural flavors of the meat. Its larger, coarser grains distribute more evenly, resulting in a more balanced flavor.
- Coarse Black Pepper: This pungent and mildly hot spice gives the roast a delightful kick. Using freshly ground coarse black pepper provides a stronger flavor and more texture.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil helps lock in the juices and creates a beautiful, crispy exterior. It evenly cooks the roast, enhances the taste, and allows the seasonings to adhere to the meat.
Cooking the Perfect Bottom Round Roast
Now, let’s delve into the cooking process to ensure your bottom round roast turns out perfectly tender and flavorful.
- Prepare the roast: Place the roast on a layer of paper towels and pat it dry to remove excess moisture.
- Creating the rub: In a small bowl, mix together the garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, and pepper. Brush the roast with olive oil and rub the seasoning blend onto the meat.
- Cover and refrigerate: Massage the seasonings into the roast until fully coated, then place it uncovered in the refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Preheat the oven: Remove the roast from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven.
- Cook the roast: Place the roast on a wire rack in a large cast iron skillet or roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer and bake until it reaches your desired doneness level.
- Resting the roast: Tent the roast with aluminum foil and let it rest. Afterward, sear it at a high temperature in the oven until a beautiful golden brown crust forms.
Pro Tips for the Perfect Bottom Round Roast
To ensure your bottom round roast turns out just right, here are some pro tips:
- Allow the roast to rest before cooking to ensure even cooking and juiciness.
- Use a meat thermometer to cook the roast to your desired level of doneness.
- Let the roast rest after cooking to allow the juices to redistribute and enhance tenderness.
Serving and Leftovers
A bottom round roast is not only great for Sunday roasts but also versatile for other dishes. Here are some ideas:
- Serve it with garlic herb butter, Zip sauce, horseradish, or beef broth for a delicious au jus recipe.
- Cut it into cubes for stew meat in slow-cooked dishes like Mulligan Beef Stew.
- Use the leftovers for roast beef sandwiches, tacos, stir-fry, or beef and vegetable soup.
The Bottom Round Roast: Tender and Flavorful
Bottom round roast, also known as rump roast, standing rump roast (bone-in), round tip roast, boneless bottom round roast, or bottom round oven roast, is a versatile cut that can be cooked using various methods. Whether you opt for slow cooking, roasting, braising, or slow-cooking, this cut will reward you with tender and delicious results.
Remember to let the roast rest at room temperature before cooking, use a meat thermometer to achieve the desired level of doneness, and allow the roast to rest after cooking for maximum tenderness.
To learn more about mouthwatering beef recipes, check out our roasted beef recipes, including Boneless Prime Rib, Best Corned Beef with Homemade Spice Blend, Instant Pot Frozen Roast, Top Round Roast Beef, and Air Fryer Prime Rib.
Remember, BDK Restaurant is your go-to for delectable dishes. Give this bottom round roast recipe a try, and your family will be asking for it time and time again.
Keep in touch! We’d love to hear your thoughts on this recipe. Leave a comment or share your experience on Instagram with @BDKRestaurant using the hashtag #BDKRestaurant. Don’t forget to visit our website for more delicious recipes and inspiration.
Pin this recipe for later!