Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches are a beloved classic across the United States. The combination of thinly sliced steak, onions, and melted cheese creates a symphony of flavors that’s hard to resist. At BDK Restaurant, we’ve taken this iconic recipe and given it a delicious twist by cooking it in the air fryer. The result? A perfectly cooked, mouthwatering sandwich that is both easy to make and always a big hit!
Cooking Everything Together in the Air Fryer
Cooking Philly Cheesesteaks in the air fryer is a game-changer. Not only does it simplify the cooking process by allowing you to cook everything together in a single basket, but it also adds a unique touch to the sandwich. The air fryer ensures that the steak is cooked to perfection, tender and juicy, while the onions and cheese meld together, creating a harmonious blend of flavors.
Ingredients and Preparation
To make these mouthwatering Philly Cheesesteaks, you’ll need a few key ingredients:
- Ribeye: We recommend using ribeye for its tenderness, but you can also use a more economical cut of meat like sirloin.
- Hoagie Rolls: Hoagie rolls are the perfect vessel for these sandwiches, but feel free to use your favorite bread.
- Cheese: We use white American cheese in our recipe, but provolone or Cheez Whiz are also traditional options.
To prepare the steak, simply slice it into thin strips. To make this easier, pop the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm it up, then slice it with a sharp knife. Marinate the steak in a mixture of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce for 4 hours to enhance its flavor.
Once the steak is marinated, it’s time to cook! Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- Remove the steak from the fridge and let it come to room temperature for about 30 minutes.
- Add sliced onions, peppers, and seasoned salt to the bowl with the steak, and let everything sit for another 30 minutes.
- Place the steak and veggies in the basket of your air fryer and cook at 390 degrees F for 12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
- Remove the cooked meat and veggies from the basket, and if necessary, drain any excess grease.
- Divide the cooked steak evenly between your hoagie rolls and top each with a slice of white American cheese.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and return them to the air fryer for another 3 minutes at 390 degrees F.
- After this final step, remove the sandwiches from the air fryer, unwrap them, and serve them hot.
Tips and Substitutions
Thinly sliced steak is crucial for achieving the perfect texture in your Philly Cheesesteaks. If you’re having trouble slicing the meat, try placing it in the freezer for 15-30 minutes to firm it up. Alternatively, some butchers offer pre-sliced steak, which can save you time and effort.
When it comes to cheese, white American cheese is the traditional choice. However, you can switch it up and use provolone or Cheez Whiz for a different flavor profile.
More Air Fryer Sandwich Recipes
If you’re a fan of sandwiches cooked in the air fryer, we have some other recommendations you might enjoy:
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Frozen Chicken Patties in the Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Turkey Burger
Let Us Know Your Opinion!
We’d love to hear your thoughts on this delicious Philly Cheesesteak recipe. Leave a comment below and don’t forget to rate it! And if you’re looking for more mouthwatering recipes and inspiration, visit BDK Restaurant.