Do you love homemade croutons? Get ready to make a batch of delicious buttery croutons in your air fryer. In just about 10 minutes, you can have flavorful crispy seasoned croutons that will elevate any salad or soup.
You don’t need to buy fancy bread to make these salad toppings that everyone loves. Ordinary sandwich bread can be transformed into delicious crispy croutons. Whether you have leftover baguettes, loaves of French bread, or any other type of bread, it will work perfectly.
Stale bread is actually perfect for this recipe! If you have a loaf of bread that has gone stale and is no longer suitable for sandwiches, don’t throw it away. As long as the bread isn’t moldy, you can turn it into croutons. Remember, moldy bread is not safe to eat, even if you remove the moldy parts.
To make these homemade croutons, you will need:
- Bread – Use your favorite bread, such as sourdough or whole wheat. Day-old bread works great too.
- Butter – You can use olive oil or avocado oil for a vegan option.
- Parsley – Alternatively, you can use an Italian seasoning blend.
- Onion powder
- Seasoned salt
- Garlic powder
How to Make Croutons
Follow these simple steps to make your own croutons:
- Grab four or five slices of bread. Use a serrated knife or a very sharp knife to cut the bread into bite-sized cubes.
- Melt some butter and mix in the onion powder, parsley, seasoned salt, and garlic powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- Carefully stir the bread into the seasoned butter until each cube is well coated.
- Place the seasoned bread into the basket of your air fryer and cook for about 7 minutes until they turn fragrant.
- Remove the air fryer basket and let the croutons cool to room temperature. Now you have a delicious bowl of homemade croutons ready to be enjoyed with your favorite salad or soup.
No Air Fryer? No problem. Make Homemade Croutons on Your Stovetop
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can still enjoy homemade croutons. Simply heat up a large skillet to medium heat, toss in the seasoned bread, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Make sure to stir the bread every 30 seconds or so to prevent burning. You’ll end up with beautifully browned croutons.
Other uses for these crunchy croutons
These air fryer croutons can be used in more than just salads. Consider using them as a topping for your favorite soups, such as creamy tomato soup, French onion soup, or broccoli cheese soup. You can also use them in recipes that call for bread crumbs, like meatloaf or stuffing.
How to store leftover croutons
Chances are you’ll love these homemade croutons so much that you’ll want to save some for later. Allow them to cool to room temperature and store them in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Need more recipes for your air fryer? Check out these air fryer recipes:
- Buffalo Wings Air Fryer
- Hot Dogs Air Fryer
- Corn on the Cob Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
Use Croutons on These Salads:
- Panera Salads
- Olive Garden Italian Salad
- Summer Berry Salad
- Chopped Chicken Salad
- Caesar Salad
More Recipes for Stale bread:
- Making Crostini
- DIY Panko
- Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs
- How to Make Breadcrumbs from Loaf Bread
Be sure to check out more delicious homemade salad and easy bread recipes on the BDK Restaurant website.