Consider this your go-to resource for all your Thanksgiving pie needs. I’ve curated a collection of my top 20 holiday pie recipes, along with essential pie baking tips and more! Get ready to impress your family and friends with the perfect pie this holiday season.
I must admit, I have a deep appreciation for pie. Over the past 14 years of blogging, I’ve amassed a collection of over 75 pies and tarts in my recipe archives. With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I couldn’t resist highlighting a few that would be a delightful addition to your holiday table. Plus, I’ll be sharing my favorite pie crust recipes, tips, and resources to ensure your pie turns out perfect.
Start with the Best Flaky Pie Crust
Every great pie begins with a homemade pie crust—no exceptions. Trust me, once you try my foolproof all-butter pie crust recipe, you’ll never look back. I’ll guide you through the process step-by-step, guaranteeing a crust like no other. And if you’re feeling adventurous, I also have a delightful buttermilk pie crust variation. If time is of the essence, don’t worry—I’ve got you covered with a tutorial on how to make pie crust in the food processor.
Can I Make Pies Ahead of Time?
Absolutely! Here are a few ideas on how to prep pies ahead of time:
Make Pie Crust Ahead of Time
You can make pie crust in advance and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer (double wrapped) for up to 2 months. Simply thaw the crust in the fridge overnight before use. Personally, I find it convenient to prepare my pie crusts a week or so before Thanksgiving to save time and minimize stress.
How Long Do Baked Pies Keep?
For optimal freshness, I recommend baking pies no more than 2 days in advance if you plan to store them in the fridge or at room temperature. Pies that contain eggs or dairy products such as milk, cream, cream cheese, or sour cream must be refrigerated. This includes popular choices like pumpkin pie and cream pies. However, fruit pies made without dairy can be safely kept at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Can I Freeze Pie?
In most cases, yes! You can freeze both baked and unbaked fruit pies as well as pecan pies for 1-2 months. Once baked pies have cooled completely, freeze them uncovered for a few hours and then wrap them twice in plastic wrap for long-term freezing.
To bake a frozen pie, simply bake it from frozen without thawing and plan for additional baking time. To thaw a frozen pie, leave it in its wrappings on the counter overnight or warm it in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes (covering with foil if the topping starts to brown too much).
Unfortunately, pumpkin pies, custard pies, and cream pies do not freeze well.
More Pie Tips
If you need additional help, don’t worry—I’ve got you covered. Here are a few more pie resources:
- Keep calm and fix common pie mistakes! Check out my guide on how to avoid and fix the most common pie blunders, ensuring perfect pies every time.
- Discover my favorite pie tools to make your pie-making experience even more enjoyable and efficient.
- Learn how to blind bake pie crust for those recipes that require a pre-baked crust.
- Impress everyone with a beautiful lattice pie crust—my guide will show you how it’s done.
20 Thanksgiving Pie Recipes
Are you looking for the perfect holiday pie recipe? Look no further! I’ve gathered my favorite pies that will undoubtedly steal the show on your Thanksgiving table. Below is a categorized list of must-try pies, including pumpkin and sweet potato, fruit pies, nutty pies, and cream pies.
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato
- Classic Pumpkin Pie: Creamy and perfectly spiced, this timeless pie is a Thanksgiving staple.
- Pumpkin Pie with Nut Praline: Elevate your pumpkin pie experience with a delightful nutty twist.
- Chocolate Pumpkin Tart with Gingersnap Crust: Indulge in a classic pumpkin filling with a heavenly gingersnap crust and chocolate ganache topping.
- Sweet Potato Pie with Toasted Marshmallow Meringue: Swap out traditional pumpkin for a sweet potato pie adorned with irresistibly fluffy marshmallow meringue.
- Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Tart with Chocolate Cookie Crust: Discover the magical pairing of chocolate and pumpkin in this heavenly creation.
Apple & Other Fruit Pies
- Cranberry Blueberry Pie: Embrace the flavors of the season with this delightful fruit pie that goes beyond the traditional apple.
- Apple Pear Praline Pie: Fall in love with the caramel nut praline topping that makes this apple and pear pie an absolute gem.
- Cranberry Pear Pie: Find the perfect balance of sweet and tart in this fruit pie that epitomizes the taste of fall.
- Sour Cream Apple Pie: Experience the sweetness and creaminess of this unique apple pie with a delicious crumb topping.
- Mile High Apple Pie: Take your apple pie game to new heights with this oversized pie featuring a whopping 6 pounds of apples.
- Dutch Apple Pie: Indulge in a flaky crust, sweet apple filling, and crispy streusel topping with this classic Dutch apple pie.
- Classic Pecan Pie: Celebrate tradition with the unbeatable taste of a classic pecan pie.
- Chocolate Coconut Pecan Pie: Elevate your pecan pie experience with delightful additions that will take it to a whole new level.
- Cranberry Caramel Hazelnut Tart: Prepare to be pleasantly surprised by the extraordinary combination of flavors in this unique pie.
- Chocolate-Bottom Banana Cream Pie: Transport yourself back to the good old days with this nostalgic Thanksgiving staple that combines chocolate and bananas.
- Caramel Cream Pie: Treat yourself to a slice of heaven with this creation featuring creamy caramel pudding nestled inside a pecan gingersnap crust.
- Mascarpone and Cranberry Tart with Pecan Crust: Experience a burst of flavors with this non-traditional tart boasting a crisp pecan crust, creamy mascarpone filling, and cranberry sauce topping.
- Eggnog Cream Pie: Embrace the holiday spirit with this irresistible pie that caters to all the eggnog lovers out there.
- Peanut Butter Moose Pie with Marshmallow Topping: Delight your taste buds with this decadent non-traditional Thanksgiving pie that deserves a place on your holiday menu.
While you embark on your pie-making journey, don’t forget to check out the official BDK Restaurant website. They have a wide array of delectable dishes and delightful culinary creations that will leave you craving more.
So gather your ingredients, roll up your sleeves, and let the aroma of freshly baked pie fill your home this Thanksgiving. Happy baking!