Warm up your fall and winter evenings with a comforting bowl of Instant Pot Chicken Stew that everyone will love. In under 30 minutes, you can have a hearty and delicious meal ready to enjoy. This easy recipe is packed with protein and veggies, making it a healthy and satisfying option for busy nights.
Making this Instant Pot Chicken Stew is a breeze, and you can easily customize it based on what you have in your pantry. Plus, you can even make it paleo or whole 30 compliant by omitting the peas. So, let’s dive into the details and get you cooking!
Chicken Vegetable Stew Ingredients
To whip up this flavorful Instant Pot Chicken Stew, gather the following ingredients:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Onion, garlic, baby carrots, celery
- Russet potatoes
- Frozen peas
- Tomato paste
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- Bay leaf, fresh rosemary, salt & pepper
If you need any substitutions for these ingredients, check out the green shaded substitutions box below.
How To Make Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Prepare yourself for an effortless cooking experience using your Instant Pot. Follow these simple steps:
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté for 10 minutes and add olive oil to the pot. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until they become fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the frozen peas. Cover the Instant Pot and set it to Sealing, Manual Pressure for 12 minutes.
- Once the cooking is complete, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes, and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Discard the bay leaf, stir in the frozen peas, and get ready to savor every spoonful!
What Size Instant Pot Do You Need?
No worries about the size of your Instant Pot; this Chicken Stew recipe works in any size. Whether you have a 3, 6, 8, or 10-quart Instant Pot, you’re good to go!
If you prefer the slow cooker method, we’ve got you covered as well. Check out our Crockpot Chicken Stew recipe for a delightful alternative.
Easy Stovetop Chicken Stew
Don’t have an Instant Pot? No problem! You can still whip up a delicious chicken stew on your stovetop. Follow these steps:
- Cut the chicken and veggies into desired sizes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot. Sear the chicken for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned on all sides (it doesn’t need to be fully cooked).
- Add onions, garlic, celery, and carrots. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. At this point, the stew will be ready to eat, but you can also reduce the heat, let it simmer, and cook for an additional 30 minutes for even deeper flavors.
Crockpot Chicken Stew
For those who prefer the slow cooker, our Crockpot Chicken Stew recipe is a winner. Follow these easy steps:
- Chop all the veggies and cut the raw chicken into cubes. In the slow cooker insert, stir all the ingredients together, excluding the peas.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. Before serving, stir in the peas until defrosted.
Tips for the Best Chicken Stew
Making chicken stew is a breeze with a few helpful tips:
- Pound chicken breasts: Tenderize your chicken by pounding it before cutting it into cubes. This ensures maximum tenderness in every bite.
- Use fresh herbs: While dried spices work well, using fresh herbs takes the flavor to another level. Don’t hesitate to add some fresh aromatic herbs to elevate your stew.
Now that you have the ultimate Instant Pot Chicken Stew recipe, it’s time to gather your ingredients and get cooking. You’ll be rewarded with a warm and satisfying meal that will surely become a family favorite. Enjoy!