Looking for a healthy alternative to mash potato? Introducing sweet potato and carrot mash – the ideal accompaniment for your weekly roast dinners or as a side dish alongside grilled chicken breast and tenderstem broccoli. This recipe is super simple to create and will add a pop of color to your dinner plate!
Sweet potato and carrot mash
With many of us trying our best to make healthier choices as the years roll by, it can be difficult to get out of the rut of eating beige, colorless foods and opting for healthier, more colorful options.
This sweet potato and carrot mash recipe will bring a burst of orange to your dinner plate and is jam-packed full of healthy nutrients that will leave you happy and healthy!
What are the health benefits of sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are jam-packed with a whole host of nutrients that will help your body be healthier, including:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A – a whopping 400% of your daily requirement
- Potassium and magnesium
These nutrients are amazing for your health, which means sweet potatoes are:
- Great for heart and brain health
- An amazing fuel source for energy
- Perfect for helping eye health
- Known for reducing the risk of cancer
- Helpful for digestive health
What are the health benefits of carrots?
Carrots contain a similar number of incredible nutrients within them too – it must be what gives them both their gorgeous orange color. Carrots contain:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin K1
- Vitamin B6
These nutrients work to:
- Boost your immune system
- Balance your blood sugars
- Protect your eye health
- Aid digestion
- Strengthen your bones
More sweet potato recipes:
When do you eat sweet potato and carrot mash?
This recipe is perfect when making a Sunday roast or Christmas dinner and makes a great replacement for traditional mash.
It is also a super filling side dish when trying to eat healthily during the week. It goes really well with grilled chicken and broccoli or would be a great accompaniment to a lovely bit of fish like seabass or hake.
Is this recipe suitable for children and babies?
Absolutely! Children and babies will love this recipe. However, if serving to babies under one, take the salt out of the ingredient list – you can add yours later when eating at the table!
How do you make sweet potato and carrot mash?
This recipe is so, so simple to create!
- Peel the carrots and sweet potatoes before chopping them into small chunks ready to boil on the hob.
- Once they’re soft (usually fifteen minutes or so), remove the water, add butter, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and blend using a hand blender.
- Alternatively, they can be mashed with a fork or mashing tool – although they may be a little lumpy if you use this method.
What handheld blender do you use?
I use a Russell Hobbs hand blender which is only £12 on Amazon and has been with us now for a good few years. It’s fabulous for making soups, purees, mashed vegetables, or mixing cake batter.
Share this post with your friends!